[Freeipa-users] updated FreeIPA documentation?

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Wed Sep 8 03:08:59 UTC 2010

Brian LaMere wrote:
> Let me start by saying I work at a software development co; I "get it" -
> so this isn't a harsh at all.  However, the latest docs I could find (
> http://freeipa.org/docs/2.0.0/Installation_Deployment_Guide/en-US/html/ ) seem
> a bit outdated already.
> For example, this section:

> Procedure 3.1. To install the IPA server interactively:
>
> Run the following command:
>
>     *   ipa-server-install
>           o Enter the server's host name, realm name and other details
>             when prompted. When installing the master IPA server, the
>             start values for the UID and GID ranges are automatically
>             set to a random value between 1,000,000 and (2^31 -
>             1,000,000). You can pass
>             the --uidstart and --gidstart options to
>             the ipa-server-installcommand to specify different starting
>             values if desired.
>
> ---------------------------------
>
> At this point, uidstart and gidstart don't appear to be valid flags to
> ipa-server-install; this is unfortunate, because I'd really rather not
> start at a number that high (while not my personal reason for wanting a
> smaller number, older machines won't accept uid's that large...some
> won't accept UIDs higher than 65535, in fact).

What version of IPA are you looking at? I have both options in mine.
Note that if you want to use magic-private groups only set uidstart. We
made this configurable for those installations that may have limited UIDs.

> That document also references that it requires "Fedora 9 or 10" - while
> we're now pushing on rawhide at 14, and describes nscd while the
> default/suggested cache provider in current versions is sssd, etc.  Is
> there anything a bit more current?

Not yet. We have an open ticket to update this but haven't had a chance
to yet. Our trac instance is at https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa

> Is there a wiki documentation project (none shows in a couple minutes of
> google searching)?  If there's nothing more current, I'd be happy to
> update whatever is where ever while I'm going through it myself.

We had the documentation in the wiki originally but it was incredibly
difficult to keep that and our docbook-based documentation in sync so we
dropped the wiki version. The git repo for the documentation is at
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/ipadocs.git

regards

rob