[Freeipa-users] Installing on CentOS 5.X?

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 21:37:26 UTC 2011

Gavin McQuillan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're moving to a vendor which only supports servers with CentOS or RHEL.
>
> I see a 2 1/2 year old document for building SRC RPMs to get an older
> version of ipa-server running:
> http://howtoforge.com/how-to-build-rhel-ipa-rpms-for-centos-5. However
> there are problems with it.
>
> - It's missing several steps and/or or the package names have changed
> since 5.2.
> - Some people hint that 'centos-ds' located in the testing should serve
> the same purpose, but it looks like it only supports basic LDAP
> administration.
> - Naturally, this repo config doesn't work:
> http://freeipa.org/downloads/freeipa-devel.repo
>
> Has anybody in the community successfully gotten a relatively recent
> version of FreeIPA installed on CentOS 5.X?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Gavin

The server portion of freeIPA v2 server will not work on a 5.x-based
system. It would be a tremendous amount of work to back port things.

freeIPA v1 should work fine on 5.x. I'm not all that familiar with
CentOS but I would guess that centos-ds is the equivalent of the RHDS
packages so that is what you need.

regards

rob