[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA for Linux desktop deployment

JR Aquino JR.Aquino at citrix.com
Sat Apr 30 16:10:14 UTC 2011

On Apr 29, 2011, at 11:45 PM, "nasir nasir" <kollathodi at yahoo.com<mailto:kollathodi at yahoo.com>> wrote:

Hi All,

First of all, many thanks indeed to the developers and community for making some great strides in the open source IPA world !

I am planning for a Linux deployment with the following requirements.

   -- About 50 Linux clients running Kubuntu (can change this to ubuntu if necessary)
   -- Centralized authentication
   -- Centralized storage with iSCSI for /home folder for each user by means of a dedicated storage
   -- NO Windows or other users
   -- Admin should be able to create and modify the accounts of all the users
   -- Admin should be able to set password policies
   -- Allocate /home folder for each user from the storage through iSCSI
   -- Server can be CentOS/RHEL (or even Fedora if absolutely required)
   -- Any other administration of users if possible !

I was wondering whether FreeIPA makes sense to me in this scenario ? can it satisfy all these or at least some of these ? if not, can anyone suggest me some alternative solutions which are open source ? I am flexible on the requirements and can make modifications if that is required.

I would really appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks in advance and regards,
Nidal

Yes Nidal, you will find that FreeIPA satisfies almost all of these requirements.  iSCSI managment is not a feature of FreeIPA.

If you are looking to begin now, I would recommend that you start with Fedora as your base server distro.

IPA will be available for RHEL as a Feature preview in 6.1 with plans to be fully supported and integrated by 6.2.

-JR