Re: [Freeipa-users] Clarification about FreeIPA milestones

On 08/05/2011 03:29 PM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
Hello,

IPA 2.1 is getting close to its release so it is time to set some
expectations and explain our roadmap moving forward a little bit.
First it is planned to have couple bug fixing iterations on top of 2.1.
That translates into 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 milestones respectfully.
We do not plan to do any point releases after 2.1 on the same code base.
We will maintain this code for some time doing fixes and back porting
from the tip but we do not plan to have 2.2 release from it.

The next release will be a major release. It will be 3.0. There will be
two separate parallel teams contributing to this release.
One team is focusing on the cross kerberos trust effort and another on
the core enhancements effort.
There is not much overlap between the two so the tracking purposes it is
easier to create independent milestones for the two teams. The
milestones are named "Core effort" and "Trust effort" respectfully. Each
will have its own backlog - a general pool of things to do and then
individual iterations that are more or less aligned by the month
boundaries. We will try to deliver some meaningful features every month
but there is no guarantee that there will a build to play with every
month as a result of the particular iteration.

Will either of these efforts include enhanced UI? I can certainly see something for configuring cross domain trusts ending up under the policy tab. I'm not too up to speed on what the Core effort is doing.

The one concern I have is that the UI team is going to want to continue to refine what we already have. Should it target either core or trust as the main place to develop against, or will we try to keep the UI base in sync with both trees?