[Freeipa-users] Alternatives to freeipa

Steven Jones Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz
Thu Jul 7 20:10:47 UTC 2011

Hi,

Thanks for the link, about the best comments/info Ive seen yet.  We dont pay cals as we get educational pricing, so AD is a few hundred $ for the OS and nothing more. Up against free, Freeipa's cost will be a hard sell.

So far Ive spent 4 days so far and been unable to connect to AD.....the lastest is when I run authconfig-tui in 6.1 and it segfaults, this is with RH support...it certainly isnt straightforward/simple.

Also looking for docs I see no sign of the functionality in AD that Free-ipa offers....right now Im trying win2k8R2 to see if that has more than Win2k3R2....because the docs for win2k3r2 dont appear to have any functionailty in terms of management.....maybe I cant find the right docs.

Looking at your blog it certainly covers stuff I havent been able to find googling, but it looks like a lot of manual work?  setting up 300 RH machines manually would be no trivial task, unlike "ipa-client-install" which is very trivial by comparison and very easy to manage.

I have got likewise express to work but anyone in the AD can connect/login so its useless in terms of management, but of course its free. Kind of makes IPA shine.

regards