[Freeipa-users] "Joining realm failed because of failing XML-RPC request" FreIPA V2

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Fri Jul 8 18:45:42 UTC 2011

McDougall, Ryan P. [mcry0802 at stcloudstate.edu] wrote:
> When joining a client to a FreeIPA server installed on F15, I get the
> error quoted in the subject. The install of the server went well with no
> errors during the process. I’ve been looking all over and I can’t seem
> to find anything related to this on the forums and I haven’t heard back
> from anyone yet in IRC. Is this a known issue?

This is caused by a recent update to libcurl that removed its ability to
delegate tickets. Bugs have been opened against curl to add support for
delegation and a bug against xmlrpc-c to take advantage of this new API.

There is currently on ETA on a fix.

The only workaround I've come up with so far is:

- On the server: manually add a host entry for your client: ipa host-add
client.example.com
- Add the --force flag to ipa-client-install. This will allow it to
continue past the enrolment failure
- On the client: kinit admin
- On the client: ipa-getkeytab -s ipa.example.com -p
client.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM -k /etc/krb5.keytab
- On the client: service sssd restart

There will be no SSL server cert in /etc/pki/nssdb because certmonger
can't communicate with the IPA backend.

rob