[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA for Linux desktop deployment

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Tue May 10 21:31:11 UTC 2011

On 05/10/2011 05:11 PM, Steven Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are OSS packages that can be installed into Solaris.....so I dont see why freeipa cant be ported....at least the x86 CPU version anyway.

I think this will be a huge undertaking. It is not that simple. And is
there really a value for IPA to be on Solaris?
I can understand the client part but the server is less important. It is
a dedicated server running on BM or VM so does it really matter what os
it is running as long it is supported and affordable?

We as a dev community will be open to any effort to port the whole stack
to some other distribution but I bet there are better uses for someones
energy that we can utilize to deliver better functionality to this user
community.

Client is a different issue. I tried to talk to IBM, HP and Sun a year
ago. They are not interested in porting SSSD to their platforms.