[Freeipa-users] Fedora 16 failing to start dirsrv process

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 15:19:24 UTC 2011

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011, Dan Scott wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just upgraded a server from Fedora 15 to 16 and I'm having
> problems starting the dirsrv process:
>
> /var/log/messages
> Nov 14 09:38:27 fileserver1 ipactl[1351]: Failed to read data from
> Directory Service: Unknown error when retrieving list of services from
> LDAP: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
> Nov 14 09:38:27 fileserver1 ipactl[1351]: Shutting down
> Nov 14 09:38:27 fileserver1 ipactl[1351]: Starting Directory Service
> Nov 14 09:38:27 fileserver1 systemd[1]: ipa.service: main process
> exited, code=exited, status=1
> Nov 14 09:38:27 fileserver1 systemd[1]: Unit ipa.service entered failed state.
>
> The /var/log/dirsrv/slapd-EXAMPLE-COM/errors file contains no new
> entries since Friday 11th.
>
> Any ideas how I can get this fixed? How can I find out which 'file or
> directory' is missing?
Looks like LDAP socket is not yet available at the time we try to
contact it. I think this was fixed in Fedora 16 package with this
patch:
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=freeipa.git;a=commitdiff;h=5451328bc55fe964c61e7b87959310f9c6748cf8

Could you make sure 'systemctl start dirsrv.target' actually starts
slapd for EXAMPLE-COM? If not, please show output of

ls -l /etc/systemd/system/dirsrv.target.wants

It may be that we would need to make a small upgrade script that
re-installs proper systemd instances for dirsrv.target as those are
produced during ipa-server-install and cannot be done automatically on
upgrade without proper intervention yet.

Fedora 15 to Fedora 16 upgrade is a bit complicated due to change from
System V to systemd.
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy