[Freeipa-users] Reinstalling a host without deleting

Dan Scott danieljamesscott at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 13:33:30 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 07:07, Natxo Asenjo <natxo.asenjo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Dan Scott <danieljamesscott at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a 'nice' way to reinstall a host? i.e. The host has already
>> been installed in FreeIPA and for whatever reason I need to reinstall
>> the OS, so I have a clean system and the host is already enrolled on
>> the server.
>>
>> ipa-client-install fails with "Host already enrolled" and I have to
>> connect to an enrolled client, remove the host, and then return to
>> install the client.
>>
>> Would it be possible to have a '--reinstall' option to
>> ipa-client-install? It wouldn't have to add the host into IPA, just
>> configure the files and get the keytab.
>
> If I understand it correctly, this could overwrite hosts passwords
> which is probably not what you want with a kerberos realm.

So *getting* a new keytab would overwrite host passwords? Why wouldn't
I want that, if I'm reinstalling a host?

> You should manually remove the host first from the realm and then rejoin it.

Why? I'd much rather have the ipa-client-install script do the removal
for me.... if it actually requires removal and re-addition.

Do I really have to remove and re-add? Why can't I just re-provision?

Dan