[Freeipa-users] Limiting group/user visibility

Lassi Pölönen lassi.polonen at iki.fi
Wed Nov 30 11:18:46 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm looking for implementing FreeIPA in an environment where there are
multiple customers in multiple organizations and a single organization
that manages the users, sets the access rights etc.

We don't have a centralized system currently so I will be starting from
the scratch in that sense. The first concern I've had so far is that we
don't want different customers to be able to find information about each
other. Currently in my test setup any user can find out every user in a
group if they know the group name and all the groups for each user if
they know the username. In some cases this might reveal information the
customer is not willing to share.

So are there ways to limit that e.g certain hosts/hostgroups or
users/usergroups see some defined subset of the directory? Or are there
some other suggested approaches? As the current setup relies on local
authentication, users naturally are able to find users/groups only on
servers they are able to log in and that is the level of confidentiality
we are looking for if possible

-Lassi Pölönen