[Freeipa-users] krb5kdc process at 100%

Smith, Martin R. [smma0901@stcloudstate.edu] smma0901 at stcloudstate.edu
Thu Sep 8 17:48:37 UTC 2011

Hello all,
I'm running a fairly new install of Freeipa-server and we are running into a problem that is preventing users from logging in. We have two SSH servers that authenticate to our freeipa-server and after 15 min to 4 hrs of runtime the process Krb5kdc will consume 100% of the processor and the freeipa-server will no longer respond to ldap requests from the other machines.

Here are some specs:
The freeipa-server is running as a virtual machine on a Xen 5.6 box
Fedora 15 with all current updates
The /home directory is a NFS mount to a different server, also running freeipa-client

I updated the freeipa-server package to the "testing" repo today, the problem still exists. The only additional components I've installed are fail2ban, and rsyslog.

Some of the error messages include:
(krb5kdc.log)
Sep 08 12:10:23 client1.fake.com krb5kdc[1867](info): AS_REQ (7 etypes {18 17 16 23 1 3 2}) 199.17.59.5: NEEDED_PREAUTH: host/client1.fake.com at fake.com for krbtgt/fake.com at fake.com, Additional pre-authentication required

(pki-ca-system-log)
Attached. This log is from the freeipa-server, it appears to be complaining that it can't connect to itself.

I can provide more logs to a personal email if needed.

Thanks for your help in resolving this issue.
-Martin Smith