[Freeipa-users] backup and upgrade/transition to new versions

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Mon Sep 12 18:17:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 10:57 -0700, Stephen Ingram wrote:
> I've seen mentioned on this list before that it is better to just
> image the entire system as a backup rather than actually try to figure
> out where the specific files are that relate to the various components
> of IPA. What I'm wondering is what if you want to upgrade the
> distribution say from Fedora 15 to 16. How would this work as related
> to a production IPA install? I also know that some of our
> installations that begin on Fedora would end up on Redhat so that
> customers could take advantage of support. Is there any mechanism by
> which these upgrades could work?

I would suggest that the best way to deal with changing radically the
underlying OS is to make a replica on a new machine and then get rid of
the old one if possible.

If multiple replicas are already available I would just wipe out the
machine, re-install, then replicate again.

Just pay attention to backup things that may be only on the first master
(for example the CA if you used selfsign).

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York