[Freeipa-users] Multi-tennancy and Freeipa

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed Sep 14 19:22:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-14 at 15:19 -0400, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Simo Sorce wrote:
> >>
> >> At the moment we do not have the ability to move accounts into sub
> >> containers. It is a feature we may want to implement in future, but we
> >> kept the tree intentionally flat to avoid misuse we've seen as quite
> >> common in products like AD.

> >> This may work onve ipa v3 is out. Building multiple realms (in multiple
> >> servers/VMs) is possible but trust relationship management is not fully
> >> backed in yet.

> >> If you create multiple realms you'll have to do it with multiple servers
> >> with current IPA.

> >> In general ACIs can be used to limit who sees what.
> >> It may be possible to use the current flat view on the server and
> >> constrain access to specific users/groups using a bit of custom schema
> >> in order to "label" entries, and custom ACIs.
> >> Of course you would want to turn off anonymous access to the directory
> >> and encrypt all traffic with SSL or GSSAPI at that point.
> >
> > Replying to myself, custom schema may not be necessary. It may be
> > possible to use just ACIs and non-posix groups together w/o adding
> > additional schema, that would make the problem simpler, although ACIs
> > need to be built carefully not to cripple the admins view.
> >
> > Simo.
> >

> The management framework only supports a single realm as well, even if
> you could manage to insert the data.

The ACIs solution would work with a single-realm model ... except that
it also means each customer needs to do very careful access control when
using kerberos for now, as we do not have a way to constrain which users
can get tickets for which services in the same REALM. This is something
we want to introduce in v3.0 anyways for various reasons. So going
forward, segmentation of users should become simpler.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York