[Freeipa-users] Debian clients?

Sigbjorn Lie sigbjorn at nixtra.com
Fri Sep 16 18:21:43 UTC 2011

On 09/16/2011 05:19 PM, Johan Sunnerstig wrote:
> Hello.
> I'm wondering if anyone has used FreeIPA with Debian clients, and if
> so, what client software you opted to use?
> Right now I have nss-pam-ldapd
> (http://arthurdejong.org/nss-pam-ldapd/) and the MIT-based krb
> software that's included in Debian 6 working decently. By that I mean
> I can use it to allow logins as expected, but so far I haven't worked
> out allowing or disallowing login based on group membership.
>
> Obviously the best solution would be a "real" IPA client, but has
> anyone attempted this? I mucked around a bit with the SSSD included in
> the Debian repos(1.2.1) but didn't get it to work. Though in all
> fairness I didn't try THAT hard since it seems like SSSD has evolved
> quite a bit since 1.2.1.
> Is the SSSD route worthwhile?
>
> I really just need group based logins, sudo controls I can handle
> based on groups with Puppet, but again, if the real client route isn't
> too much work that's of course preferable.
>
> I hope this makes sense, late friday and I have a horrible headache,
> so if it doesn't I apologize in advance. :)

Hi Johan,

I'm using Ubuntu with FreeIPA. I'm not using the ldapd as I've found it
unreliable. I'm using the libnss-ldap and manually configured kerberos.
ldapd does not support nested groups last I checked, that's a downside
too. It's not perfect, sssd would have been better, but it works just fine.

If you lower the bind_timelimit and timelimit quite low (a few seconds)
it's not too bad when a ipa server is unavailable. nscd is required to
overcome some issues with the libnss-ldap. (Such as Thunderbird
segfaulting...)

I've used cfengine to make an IPA config script for clients not
supporting sssd and ipa-client-install. I'm sure you could do the same
with puppet.

To get group based login, I've used the AllowGroups property in sshd.

Hope this makes sense. :)

Regards,
Siggi