[Freeipa-users] Upgrade from FreeIPA 1.2 to 2.1 - getting tickets from upgraded server

Dan Scott danieljamesscott at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 18:34:19 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 16:28, Rob Crittenden <rcritten at redhat.com> wrote:
> Dan Scott wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a FreeIPA 1.2 realm running.
>>
>> I've installed a new server running 2.1 and migrated the user accounts
>> across. I've installed a client and am trying to authenticate against
>> the new server. I get the following errors:
>>
>> djscott at pc35:~$ kinit
>> Password for djscott at EXAMPLE.COM:
>> kinit: Preauthentication failed while getting initial credentials
>> djscott at pc35:~$
>>
>> The server krb5kdc log contains the following:
>>
>> Sep 21 16:02:00 fileserver1.example.com krb5kdc[17795](info): AS_REQ
>> (4 etypes {18 17 16 23}) 192.168.1.35: NEEDED_PREAUTH:
>> djscott at EXAMPLE.COM for krbtgt/EXAMPLE.COM at EXAMPLE.COM, Additional
>> pre-authentication required
>> Sep 21 16:02:03 fileserver1.example.com krb5kdc[17795](info): preauth
>> (timestamp) verify failure: No matching key in entry
>> Sep 21 16:02:03 fileserver1.example.com krb5kdc[17795](info): AS_REQ
>> (4 etypes {18 17 16 23}) 192.168.1.35: PREAUTH_FAILED:
>> djscott at EXAMPLE.COM for krbtgtEXAMPLE.COM at EXAMPLE.COM,
>> Preauthentication failed
>>
>> I've been to the page:
>>
>> https://fileserver1.example.com/ipa/migration/
>>
>> And tried to migrate my password, but I receive:
>>
>> "There was a problem with your request. Please, try again later. If
>> the problem persists, contact your administrator."
>>
>> The same error occurs when I try to authenticate as myself on the
>> server, although 'id djscott' returns the correct list of groups, so
>> it appears that LDAP is working, but Kerberos is not. I guess it's
>> something to do with the password migration?
>>
>> Anyone know how I can figure out what's going wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dan Scott
>
> It looks like the Apache error log is probably not going to have a ton of
> information for you, but wouldn't hurt to check.
>
> I'd start with the 389-ds access log when doing a migration. You should see
> the following sequence:
>
> - anonymous bind to search for the naming contexts. It looks like we use the
> first one there which is bad (ticket
> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/1834)
> - it attempts a bind with dn uid=<login>,cn=users,cn=accounts,<naming
> context>
>
> For some reason we convert the LDAP errors into IOErrors, not entirely sure
> why but we should have beefed up logging in any case (ticket
> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/1835)
>
> See what either or both of them is returning and that may provide the clues
> we need to figure it out.
>
> If you still have migration mode enabled you can generate your credentials
> with sssd by logging into the client normally. If migration mode is on then
> sssd will initiate a kerberos password change for you.

Well, I'm not entirely sure what the problem was, but SSHing to
another server appears to have migrated the password successfully.
It's working fine now.

So I need to leave migration mode enabled until all users have
migrated their passwords, correct? Is this all that migration mode
does? Re-generate the Kerberos hashes?

Thanks,

Dan