[Freeipa-users] Certificate error when modifying/deleting a host

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Thu Sep 29 00:54:12 UTC 2011

On 09/28/2011 05:59 PM, Sigbjorn Lie wrote:
> On 09/28/2011 11:35 PM, Adam Young wrote:

>>> Sorry for the late reply.
>>>
>>> I have performed the modifications you've suggested to
>>> /var/lib/pki-ca/conf/server.xml, and
>>> /var/lib/pki-ca/webapps/ca/WEB-INF/web.xml.
>>>
>>> In the file /var/lib/pki-ca/conf/CS.cfg, the settings we're already
>>> http.port=8080 and https.port=8443.
>>>
>>> I could not find the file /etc/pki-ca/proxy.conf. I did find
>>> /usr/share/pki/ca/conf/proxy.conf, I copied this into
>>> /etc/httpd/conf.d and replaced [PKI_MACHINE_NAME]:[PKI_AJP_PORT]
>>> with localhost:9447.
>>>
>>> Then I restarted ipa: $ ipactl restart
>>>
>>> I get a different error now, same error msg both in webui and cli:
>>> ipa: ERROR: Certificate format error: [Errno -8192] (SEC_ERROR_IO)
>>> An I/O error occurred during security authorization.
>>>
>>> What do you suggest doing next? :)
>>
>> /etc/httpd/conf.d/nss.conf:
>>
>> oot at vm-077 conf.d]# diff nss.conf.orig nss.conf
>> 74c74
>> < NSSRenegotiation off
>> ---
>> > NSSRenegotiation on
>> 78c78
>> < NSSRequireSafeNegotiation off
>> ---
>> > NSSRequireSafeNegotiation on
>>

>> As I said, we are scripting this.  I should have had you hold out for
>> the script.
>
> :)
>
> I see Ade Lee has posted the script now. I'll have a go at the script
> tomorrow.
>
> Rgds,
> Siggi

Well, that script assumes the machine is in a certain state.  I am not
sure if you machine now qualifies.  You shold only need the nss.conf
change, as that seems to match the error you are seeing.

Before you make any changes, try pointing  a browser at

https://hostname/ca/ee/ca/getCertChain

And you should get a valid response:  XML with a tag <ChainBase64>

This shows that Dogtag is being proxied correctly.  The error you are
seeing is due to the need to "renegotiate" the SSL handshake for the
authed sections of the PKI-CA.