[Freeipa-users] backup plan

bin.echo at gmail.com bin.echo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 23:14:47 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I've been doing a bit of research on back up and restore of FreeIPA and so
far the best plan seems to be "just back up everything"

That's fine except for "back up everything" doesn't lend itself to
automation on a bare metal instance (which is what my primary and replica
are). To be safe I would need to take the machine down rather than try to
do a hot back up. (sync everything and backup from an inactive fs of better
yet unmounted fs)

That got me thinking, how about a vm? They are easy to stop, checkpoint,
back up and restart.

I want to run this by everyone and see what you think:

Install a replica on a vm and then use THAT to capture "back ups".

If it looks like a reasonable idea, does anyone have a suggestion for which
hypervisor would be best to use? (preferably FOSS)  I only have experience
with VirtualBox but I'm not sure it's up to this type of project?

Thanks!

-Aaron