[Freeipa-users] Lost dse.ldif

Erinn Looney-Triggs erinn.looneytriggs at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 21:58:16 UTC 2012

After a restart of the system I received the following errors:

Starting dirsrv:
    FOO-COM...[15/Aug/2012:21:48:26 +0000] startup - The default
password storage scheme SSHA could not be read or was not found in the
file /etc/dirsrv/slapd-FOO-COM/dse.ldif. It is mandatory.

    PKI-IPA...[15/Aug/2012:21:48:26 +0000] startup - The default
password storage scheme SSHA could not be read or was not found in the
file /etc/dirsrv/slapd-PKI-IPA/dse.ldif. It is mandatory.

  *** Warning: 2 instance(s) failed to start
Failed to read data from Directory Service: Unknown error when
retrieving list of services from LDAP: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Turns out the the dse.ldif files were both empty, I copied from the
backup files, restarted, and everything worked fine. However I am
wondering how a situation like this can come about?

-Erinn