[Freeipa-users] backup plan

bin.echo at gmail.com bin.echo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 07:56:33 UTC 2012

@Steven Jones
I prefer a pure FOSS solution that has good community support.

@Lucas Yamanishi
I will check out the links.

This weekend I played around with VirtualBox and I was surprised how much
script-ability it has. I'd previously only used it in a desktop/GUI context
so I was not up to speed on all it's automation features.  VirtualBox is a
hosted hypervisor but that doesn't bother me. Machines are so powerful
these days a little overhead isn't a big deal... plus having a host OS
opens up a lot of possibilities.   libvirt looks super powerful but there
is a lot of overlap with the management tools already in VirtualBox. I
might not need anything more.

One of the tests I did was exporting the VM and doing a binary delta on
it against a previous full backup ( the full backup is basically the
pristine VM of the freshly installed and synced replica) . It takes a while
to run but the diff packs the backup down quite a bit. It's not a native
snapshot but after some though I realized that's not really what I want.
The desire is backups with some type of check pointing, to allow for fast
recovery and a few fall back options. I would not ever actually use the
snapshot since this is just for disaster recovery.  The ability to rebuild
the VM in it's latest state is the primary goal, the secondary goals being
simplicity and frugality of storage use.

The nice thing about the scheme is on a minimal install the full backup
plus several delta files will easily fit on a DVD. The deltas can be sent
offsite easily as they are not very large.

Still plenty more research and testing to do but so far this seems like a
workable scheme to facilitate "back up everything"  without using much
storage and in a way I can get my head around.

-Aaron