[Freeipa-users] Specifying load balancing to SSSD clients

Innes, Duncan Duncan.Innes at virginmoney.com
Mon Aug 20 13:48:30 UTC 2012

Folks,

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question, but I'm constrained by a few
things on my estate and would be looking to deploy something like the
following:

2 Datacentres
2 IPA servers at each datacentre

ipa1.domain.com \_ datacentre A
ipa2.domain.com /

ipa3.domain.com \_ datacentre B
ipa4.domain.com /

The datacentres are linekd, but bandwidth not great.

Client's in datacentre A should therefore use ipa1.domain.com and
ipa2.domain.com as primary servers and only fail over to ipa3 & ipa4
when both 1 & 2 are out of action.  Clients would revert to using
ipa1/ipa2 whenever either of them came back online.

I understand this configuration has already been done as part of

What I'm wondering is if I can force my clients to load balance
communication between ipa1 & ipa2.

I don't have the ability to use the _srv_ records in DNS as that's set
up for the AD servers on our network.  I also can't create separate DNS
servers for the Linux estate (not that I'd particularly want to).

Is there any current configuration that I can use to force load
balancing between ipa1/ipa2 under ideal conditions.  Falling back to
ipa2 when ipa1 is out of action.  Falling back to (load balanced
perhaps?) ipa3/ipa4 when ipa1 & ipa2 are both out of action.

Hope the description is reasonable.

Thanks

Duncan Innes | Linux Architect

Northern Rock plc is part of the Virgin Money group of companies.

This e-mail is intended to be confidential to the recipient. If you receive a copy in error, please inform the sender and then delete this message.

Virgin Money Personal Financial Service Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Company no. 3072766.

Virgin Money Unit Trust Managers Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Company no. 3000482.

Virgin Money Cards Limited. Introducer appointed representative only of Virgin Money Personal Financial Service Limited. Company no. 4232392.

Virgin Money Management Services Limited. Company no. 3072772.

Virgin Money Holdings (UK) Limited. Company no. 3087587.

Each of the above companies is registered in England and Wales and has its registered office at Discovery House, Whiting Road, Norwich NR4 6EJ.

Northern Rock plc. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Registered in England and Wales (Company no. 6952311) with its registered office at Northern Rock House, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 4PL.

The above companies use the trading name Virgin Money.