[Freeipa-users] Specifying load balancing to SSSD clients

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Tue Aug 21 07:04:09 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> OK - thanks.
>
> But is there any way IPA can be tweaked to do this without an
> "external"
> product (albeit a Red Hat one)?  Is it possible for the sssd clients
> round-robin their requests between 2 or more servers?

At the monment only by using _srv_ records you could do some round-robin (assuming DNS supports it).

Please do not use the load balancer as suggest in a previous reply, also using a A record would not work as machines joined to IPa need the 'correct' serve name to be able to perform GSSAPI authentication. A round-robin A record would make that fail. A round-robin CNAME record might work if your DNS server supports something like that.

> Is this an sssd question or generic enough to be in this list?

It's both, SSSD implements the client, but in FreeIPA domains we need a joint solution due to Kerberos requirements for DNS names.

> Would this functionallity be of use to freeIPA in general? (my view = yes)

Yes.

HTH,
Simo.