[Freeipa-users] migration plan from local accounts

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Thu Jan 5 23:41:32 UTC 2012

On 01/05/2012 06:27 PM, Sylvain Angers wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> by moving away from local account, to freeipa do we affect any of
> these numbers?:
>
> -group name length limits
> -group membership limits
>
> or they remain the same / as the under limit of the local os?
> On linux, I believe there will still be a limitation of 16 id per
> group, right?

This is a very old limitation that is no longer a problem for quite a while.
AFAIR starting AIX5.3 AIX has a decent PAM stack and one can use
pam_ldap and nss_ldap with it.
5.2 does not have proper capabilities. What version do you use?

The limitations you are concerned are really dictated by the
capabilities of the OS and client software.
AFAIK nss_ldap has no limit on number of the users in a group.
IPA assumes that there are no such limitations and allows any number of
users in a group.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal