[Freeipa-users] Forcing IPA clients to prioritise different IPA Servers

Charlie Derwent shelltoesuperstar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 03:02:24 UTC 2012

Hi

I've got 5 different IPA servers at 5 differents labs around the country
that are all replicas of one another. In order to keep the the cross-site
network traffic to a minimum I want the IPA clients at Site "A" to only
communicate to IPA Server "A", "B" to "B", "C" to "C" etc. except in the
case of the failure of one of the servers.

I originally assumed that making the IPA client to connect to a specific
IPA server with "ipa-client-install --server=IPA_server_fqdn" would suffice
but I very quickly found out this wasn't the case with the client going to
multiple servers just to complete the installation process. Then I found
out about modifying the DNS SRV records priority and weight however, please
correct me if I'm wrong, these wouldn't these changes replicate and be
enacted gloablly. (i.e. all clients at any site would prioritise IPA "A"
over IPA "B").

Is there any way to get the functionality I desire?

Thanks,
Charlie