[Freeipa-users] consulting?

Jimmy g17jimmy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 20:26:51 UTC 2012

The sync is still not working so I was going back through the docs to see
what I missed. I know this is from an older version of IPA but I was
looking here:
http://freeipa.org/docs/1.2/Installation_Deployment_Guide/en-US/html/sect-Installation_and_Deployment_Guide-Setting_up_Synchronization_Between_IPA_and_Active_Directory-Prerequisites.html#sect-Installation_and_Deployment_Guide-Prerequisites-Setting_up_Active_Directory

and used this method to get the AD certificate server cert.

   1. Navigate to My Network Places and drill down to the CA distribution
   point. On Windows 2003 Server this is typically
   C:\WINDOWS\system32\certsrv\CertEnroll\
   2. Double-click the security certificate file (.crt file) to display the
   *Certificate* dialog box.
   3. On the *Details* tab, click *Copy to File* to start the *Certificate
   Export Wizard*.
   4. Click *Next*, select *Base-64 encoded X.509 (.CER)* and then click *
   Next*.
   5. Specify a suitable directory and file name for the exported file. The
   file name is not important. Click *Next* to export the certificate, and
   then click *Finish*. You should receive a message stating that the
   export was successful.
   6. Click *OK* to exit the wizard.

But when I run the command to create the sync agreement(pointing to the
cert I got in the step above) the ssl connection fails and if I look at
tcpdump of the connection I see that the AD server is not sending the cert
that I have imported with the sync agreement. I have used certutil to
verify that I have the same cert(same serial number and same public key) in
the 389 server as the one in the AD server ( C:\WINDOWS\system32\
certsrv\CertEnroll\). The AD server is sending a completely different cert,
and I have been unable to find the cert in the certificate stores on the AD
server so I'm not sure where the bogus cert is coming from. Before I added
the certificate services role the certsrv\certenroll directory was not
present so I know this was created when I added that role to the AD server.

The pcap can be seen here:
http://www.pcapr.net/view/g17jimmy/2012/0/2/11/ldaps3.pcap.html (sorry,
registration required on that site, I didn't have anywhere else to put it.)

Any idea why AD would be sending me the wrong cert and where it's coming
from? Yes, I know this isn't MS just trying to get these 2 systems to talk
;).