[Freeipa-users] 2.20 dirsrv memory usage

Stephen Ingram sbingram at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 20:53:32 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Rob Crittenden <rcritten at redhat.com> wrote:
> Stephen Ingram wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Yeah, I would expect to see a lot more than 34 if that were the cause.
>>>
>>> Can you post the search filters that are unindexed?
>>

>> Sure, here's a partial list (sanitized):
>>

>> filter="(managedBy=fqdn=ec2-x.x.x.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com,cn=computers,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com)
>> attrs="fqdn"
>>
>> filter="(managedBy=fqdn=imap.example.com,cn=computers,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com)"
>> attrs="fqdn"
>>
>> filter="(managedBy=fqdn=imap1.example.com,cn=computers,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com)"
>> attrs="fqdn"
>>
>> filter="(managedBy=fqdn=imap2.example.com,cn=computers,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com)"
>> attrs="fqdn"
>>
>> filter="(managedBy=fqdn=ipa1.example.com,cn=computers,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com)"
>> attrs="fqdn"
>>
>> All the rest are the same, just with different hosts.

>>> Yes.  The 389 access log is buffered, for performance reasons.
>>

>> Just thought it might be relevant. I'm not sure what is causing the
>> extreme slowness. I've also shut off memcached and tried without it
>> with no discernible difference. The directory seems to be handling the
>> load of external queries just fine, although I'm not sure I've solved
>> the memory issue--I'm still testing with the compat plugin disabled to
>> see if I can stop the memory creep. Maybe it's something in the code
>> of the Web UI itself as its even slow when changing from page to page
>> of users and hosts.
>

> Shutting of memcached is just going to make things even slower.

I really didn't see much difference so I turned it back on right away.

> Things you can try on a quiet system:
>
> 1. Create /etc/ipa/server.conf:
>
> [global]
> debug=True
>
> Restart Apache
>
> Use the UI to do a few things. Verify in the logs that the session cache is
> being used.

Yes, it is. It's interesting, 2.2 is slower such that you can see the
frame load, and then the loading symbol spins below in the display
area for a few seconds while that loads up. Before, with 2.1.3, you
really couldn't distinguish the two as they loaded so quickly.

> 2. Check your browser configuration. You don't need delegation-uris set any
> more. Having it set might mask other problems (you still need
> negotiation-auth.trusted-uris set).

I forgot about this. I changed it, completely cleared the browser
cache and accessed without any noticeable difference.

> 3. Watch what URI is being used in the Apache access log. It should be
> /ipa/session/json.

Check. this is where it lands.

I'm beginning to think this is just the Web UI itself instead of 389
although it is really difficult to tell. I've poured over the debug
logs and didn't see anything that caused me concern.

It's certainly usable, but I just got really spoiled by the
unbelievable quickness of 2.1.3. When your release notes indicate it
should be faster, what are you comparing it to? Maybe this only
happens with upgraded instances and not fresh installs.

Steve