[Freeipa-users] 2.20 dirsrv memory usage

Stephen Ingram sbingram at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:51:53 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Dmitri Pal <dpal at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 07/18/2012 01:53 PM, Stephen Ingram wrote:

>>> I wonder if we shouldn't add some timing metrics to our code. As it is it's
>>> very hard to know where time is being spent.
>>>
>>> When I wrote the session code I added some timestamps used for managing
>>> session timeouts. It wouldn't be too hard to expand this to time how long it
>>> takes a command to execute because it's evaluated for every command.
>>> Combined with timestamping in the UI code we could get a reasonable idea of
>>> where some bottlenecks lie (or don't).
>> I've never used this before so I'm not sure how it would work, but it
>> sounds great. It's really difficult to tell what's causing the issue
>> when there are so many processes occurring.
>>

> While we are going with the technical digging let us also try to collect
> the sufficient information about the problem.
>
> Here is some questions that would help us to reproduce the issue.
>
> 1) If the problem with every frame of just some specific UI pages?

The frame seems to load quickly. It is the inside part that contains
the data that is much slower.

> Can you for example see IPA Configuration panel or log as a self service
> user? Are those fast?

I'm not sure what you mean by configuration panel, but if I login as
admin or self-service user, they are both equally slow.

> 2) Say it is users is so how many users do you have? Is it thousands?

No, only 49 users at the moment. We're still adding people. There
isn't a lot of data in the directory period--another reason I'm so
surprised by the slowness.

> Or may be it is a specific group?

I notice that everyone is automatically subscribed to the ipausers
group. Hasn't that been changed such that the subscription is no
longer automatic? Maybe it is taking too long to enumerate that group?
I can unsubscribe the users if needed. Our groups only contain 3 users
on average.

> We might need to reproduce the same setup and see what is going on.

I'm more than willing to help in any way I can. I'm even considering
pulling our old 2.1.3 system from backup, but it would be difficult as
this on is in production now. I switched because of the memory leak in
2.1.3.

Steve