[Freeipa-users] IPA and UIDS <500

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Thu Jul 19 16:37:18 UTC 2012

On 07/19/2012 11:59 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 16:44 +0100, Innes, Duncan wrote:
>> Does this mean that it's impossible to have IPA authenticate the
>> oracle user or any other user that is normally below 500?
>>
>> Our security team is asking that we manage the passwords of oracle and
>> other users centrally.  Can IPA do this for me?
> It's not impossible, but it requires some mangling of your PAM stacks
> in /etc/pam.d/*

I think Stephen meant to say that it is in fact possible but not
recommended and would require changes to PAM configuration to allow
logins for centrally managed users with low UIDs.
In IPA you can change UID of the user manually if you really know what
you are doing but approach below is much more secure, compliant and elegant.

> That said, it's generally a bad idea to have passwords on users < 500.
> It should not be possible to log into them at all, and instead you
> should rely on granting (restricted) sudo privileges to real users
> allowing them to impersonate the service user instead.
>
> So instead of allowing people to log into the box as 'oracle', they
> should log in as 'myusername' and then run 'sudo -u oracle <command>'.
> This provides better auditing support as well, since you will always
> know which real user modified your database configuration (rather than
> trying to piece together who logged in as 'oracle' directly).

Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Red Hat Inc.

Looking to carve out IT costs?