[Freeipa-users] Very slow kerberos performance after upgrade to IPA 2.2

Sigbjorn Lie sigbjorn at nixtra.com
Tue Jul 31 19:08:41 UTC 2012

On 07/31/2012 01:50 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 10:50 +0200, Sigbjorn Lie wrote:

>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> I'm not a Kerberos guy, so I can give only general advice:
>>> "Overloaded-CPU-problems" can be troubleshooted with OProfile.
>>>

>>> Oprofile is lightweight statistic profiler (AFAIK it was designed for
>>> production environment).
>>>
>>> Step-by-step documentation for RHEL 6 is available from:
>>> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html-single/Deployment_Guide/index.ht
>>> ml#ch-OProfile
>>>
>>> As you can see in section 22.5.1., it allows to break whole CPU usage between
>>> processes, libraries and even individual symbols (if proper debuginfos are installed).
>>>
>>> I recommend to run OProfile on problematic system - results from opreport can
>>> provide missing clue to us.
>>>
>>> OProfile gives best results on bare-metal machines. On virtual machines you
>>> has to use timer mode in place of hardware performance counters, please see the documentation.
>>>

>>> Short getting started guide:
>>> http://oprofile.sourceforge.net/doc/overview.html#getting-started
>>>

>>> Nice article with theory&&  examples:
>>> http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/Oprofile.pdf
>>>

>>> Homepage with a lot of useful information:
>>> http://oprofile.sourceforge.net/
>>>

>> Thank you.
>>
>> All 3 IPA servers are close to idle now after switching from kerberos to user/pwd bind for the
>> Linux automounter.
>>
>> Still there is an issue with kerberos failing to issue a ticket every now and then and it's
>> responding very slowly.
>>
>> There seem to be low activity on this list just now. Is the kerberos people away on vacation?
> Hi Siggi,
> some people are on vacation, some are busy covering others :-)
>
> Would you be able to take a wireshark trace of an automount going on ?
> I would like to see precise timing of packets on the wire to make a
> first assesment of where is the bottleneck.
>
> We did change from ldap.so to ipadb.so, but the structure of the drivers
> is not much different, so I am surprised it would be much slower,
> however it is possible, I would like to find out what is going on with
> your help.

OK, I will get that done when I'm back in the office tomorrow. I suspect
it will be somewhat better than my first results as the load on the IPA
servers are now much lower when the linux automounters are no longer
using kerberos for authentication.

It seem like there is a race condition going on as the shit didn't hit
the fan until the week after the upgrade to IPA 2.2 when people returned
to work. The slowness issues then gradually became worse and worse.

I will send you the captures in a private email. Do you need anything
besides TCP 389, 636 and TCP/UDP 88 ?

Rgds,
Siggi