[Freeipa-users] ipa-getkeytab and mandatory password change

Stephen Ingram sbingram at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 18:12:17 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 09:15 -0700, Stephen Ingram wrote:

>> > I do not think we have anticipated this use. The ipa-getkeytab is
>> > designed for the host and services keytabs not for users. I suggest that
>> > use a service principal rather than a user principal to run those jobs.
>> > You can also file an RFE to allow keytabs for users if you think that
>> > services would not work for you.

>> Darren-
>>
>> I'm not sure if you went further with this, but if you do change the
>> password through other means, you then will be able to get a copy of
>> the keytab for the user with ipa-getkeytab. I tried it out because the
>> thought of not being able to get a keytab for a user was concerning. I
>> agree that the service keytabs make more sense for these instances (I
>> was also told this by Simo in another thread), but I keep being told
>> by the application people that I need to use a user principal, which,
>> thankfully works.
>
> Ask them why, I am curious about the requirement.

I'm still waiting for responses. The only thing I've been told thus
far is that since there are multiple processes authenticating to their
respective servers, it might be difficult to direct each to the proper
credential cache. If you use one user to auth to each server process
then there is only one credential cache.

Steve