[Freeipa-users] ipa-getkeytab and mandatory password change

Darran Lofthouse darran.lofthouse at jboss.com
Wed Jun 20 09:01:06 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 07:12 PM, Stephen Ingram wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> Darren-
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if you went further with this, but if you do change the
>>> password through other means, you then will be able to get a copy of
>>> the keytab for the user with ipa-getkeytab. I tried it out because the
>>> thought of not being able to get a keytab for a user was concerning. I
>>> agree that the service keytabs make more sense for these instances (I
>>> was also told this by Simo in another thread), but I keep being told
>>> by the application people that I need to use a user principal, which,
>>> thankfully works.
>>
>> Ask them why, I am curious about the requirement.

What I was trying to achieve was a single Java process obtaining it's
own ticket before it connected to a service that was identified by a
service principal mapping.

In this scenario the client process is just as non-interactive as the
server process so both sides were being configured with a keytab.

Obtaining the keytab works fine and the client can use it - the only
part that was a surprise was that the requirement for the client to
change their password remained even though it was now redundant as a
keytab had been generated.