[Freeipa-users] ipa user-add

george he george_he7 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 18:25:17 UTC 2012

Hello all,

After the server and the client are installed, I run

ipa user-add myname

to add users. The users are added successfully, but each user get his own GID, which is the same as his UID, even though "ipa config-show --all" shows

  Default users group: ipausers

How do I put all new users to this ipausers group? If I use --gidnumber=INT, how to find out the GID of the ipausers group?

I tried to delete a user using "ipa user-del myname", but the private group myname is left there. So I did the following:

# ipa group-del myname
ipa: ERROR: Deleting a managed group is not allowed. It must be detached first.
# ipa group-detach myname
ipa: ERROR: myname: group not found

# ipa user-add myname
First name: myfirstname
Last name: mylastname
ipa: ERROR: Unable to create private group. A group 'myname' already exists.

How do I get out of this loop?

Thanks,
George