[Freeipa-users] ipa installation problem

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Mon Jun 25 11:15:31 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 05:01 PM, george he wrote:
> Hello Rob,
> netstat |grep 443 returned nothing, but lsof -i :80 (or :443) returned things
> like this:
> httpd 4206 apache 5u IPv6 846355 TCP *:http (LISTEN)
> is the IPv6 here a problem?
> Thanks,
> George

"No route to host" can mean "No route to host" (= no record in ARP table) OR
"there is a firewall rule blocking this traffic" (caused by received ICMP packet).

"Connection refused" really means "Connection refused" :-) It can also point
to DNS resolution problem - name could be resolved to wrong IP, so connection
is refused by other machine than you think. Don't forget to check
/etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts.

Best way to debug network problems is wireshark and netcat. I recommend to run
wireshark on both ends and then do end-to-end tests with netcat.

Start netcat on single side and try to connect to it from other side.

root at server # nc -l 443
user at client # nc server.hostname.example 443

Type some garbage in and check if it arrives to other end. Check output from
wireshark in case of problems. Check if MAC addresses have expected values.

Petr^2 Spacek