[Freeipa-users] rfe: ldap for dhcp

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 13:54:37 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com>wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 15:02 +0200, Natxo Asenjo wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > recently it was brought to my attendtion that isp-dhcpd version 4.2
> > supports getting its database information from ldap. Earlier versions
> > support it as well with a patch.
> >
> > It would be awesome if this could be integrated in IPA.
> >
> > I am aware you guys have your hands full with plenty of stuff, but if
> > this could get integrated IPA would be even further than AD (that as
> > far as I know cannot do this).
>
> Natxo, would you be interested in contributing this functionality? If
> you are familiar with Python, an excellent primer on FreeIPA development
> can be found at http://abbra.fedorapeople.org/guidnatxoe.html<http://abbra.fedorapeople.org/guide.html>
>
> The core FreeIPA team has a lot on their plate right now, so any major
> new features like this would probably need to be contributed from wider
> community or else deferred until the current crop of functionality is
> complete.
>
> We'd be happy to help you along if you (or anyone else on this mailing
> list) wants to take this feature on.

Not familiar with Python (Perl guy, basic), but I can always try stuff. I
am just a sysadmin :-)

I have read the link you posted, and I think I would need a *lot* of hand
holding to get it in the web-ui.

What I can try is see if it works outside of the web ui. Importing the dhcp
schema in the directory and filling in the dhcp objects. Then get it to
work with a dhcp server.

If that works, then we can see how we get from there.

I already appreciate you take this seriously. Thanks!

--
natxo