[Freeipa-users] ipa-client install error

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Wed May 2 13:28:49 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-01 at 18:31 -0400, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 05/01/2012 06:15 PM, Steven Jones wrote:
> > So this opens a chicken and egg?
> >
> > ie when RHEL6.3 comes out and I upgrade the IPA server(s) to 6.3 all the older 6.2 clients will break?  but I cant upgrade the clients until after the servers are done....if so that is a huge and ugly looking task that is one way.....
> >

> Yes this is a serious problem. Thank you for uncovering it.
> Current plan is to: provide a fix for the older clients to be able to
> connect to 2.2 via errata.
> Make sure that the 2.2 client can connect to the 2.1 server.
>
> Thanks
> Dmitri

I am working on a patch for ipa-client-install which should make it
capable of joining an older IPA server.

BTW, I always thought that the proper upgrade scenario is to upgrade the
servers to the new version first and then upgrade the clients. The issue
here is that the new IPA clients won't be able to use "ipa" command to
control the old server because they have a higher API version and the
old server would not support it.

The combination of older IPA client (e.g. 2.1) and new server (e.g. 2.2)
should be OK as we maintain backwards compatibility.

Martin