[Freeipa-users] backup/restore IPA servers with db2ldap.pl, ldap2db.pl ???

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri May 11 00:28:59 UTC 2012

On 05/10/2012 04:37 PM, David Copperfield wrote:
> Hi Rich and all,
>
> Thanks for correction. They are db2ldif.pl and ldif2db.pl scripts,
> which are originally for 389 Directory Servers' backup and restore
> purposes.
>
> There are no IPA tools for IPA system backup and restore. Is there a
> plan to develop tools like ipa2ldif.pl and ldif2ipa.pl soon? or, at
> least, whether it is in IPA roadmap?
>
> For the second question: I use the simple way: ipa
> user-add/user-delete/user-find to see whether data is propagated. My
> testing steps are like this:
>
>  1, run 'ipa user-add testuser' on IPA replica, check it on IPA master
> with 'ipa user-find testuser' and it is found in a few seconds -- not
> 5 minutes.
>
>  2, run 'db2ldif.pl on IPA replica to save a backup.
>
>  3, run 'ipa user-del testuser' on IPA replica, then 'ipa user-find'
> on IPA replica, and  it shows that the user is deleted.
>
>  4, double check 'ipa user-find test user' on IPA master, and it is
> found deleted, which is as expected and it is propagated in just a few
> seconds.
>
>  5, run 'ldif2db.pl' on the same IPA replica where the backup was created.
>
>  6, run 'ipa user-find testuser' on IPA replica and it is found that
> the user testuser is alive again.
>
>  7, run 'ipa user-find testuser' on IPA master. 1/3 times we can find
> it -- and in just a few seconds. other 2/3 times it could not be found
> even after HALF HOUR.
>
> Please have a quick duplicate tests at your side and advice what
> normal users should do, because a reliable backup/restore solution is
> definitely one of the key criteria. Thanks a lot.

Ok, I see.  The problem is that a regular db2ldif[.pl] does not save the
replication meta-data.  You must use the -r option to generate an ldif
file with the replication meta-data.  ldif2db[.pl] is destructive - it
wipes out your database completely and replaces it, wiping out any
replication meta-data in the process.  If you ldif2db[.pl] a file
exported with db2ldif[.pl] -r, it will replace the replication meta-data
too.

See
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/Managing_Replication-Initializing_Consumers.html#Initializing_Consumers-Manual_Consumer_Initialization_Using_the_Command_Line