[Freeipa-users] Please help: What the purposes of '--usercat' and '--hostcat' options to IPA net groups?

Sumit Bose sbose at redhat.com
Wed May 16 10:20:46 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 09:05:43AM -0700, Gelen James wrote:
> Hi Sumit,
>

>  Thanks for your quick reply.
>
>  In the chapter http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6-Beta/html/Identity_Management_Guide/migrating-from-nis.html#nis-import-netgroups, The Netgroup migration script sets '--usercat' and '--hostcat' options to IPA netgroups through 'ipa netgroup-mod' command.
>
> More specifically, when IPA imports host based netgroups with triples like (hostA,-,-), (hostB,-,-), The new IPA netgroups are set up with option '--usetcat=all'. Does that means if this IPA netgroup is used in a HBAC rule, then the rule will applied to all users on hostA and hostB. am I right? :)

yes, this is my understanding, too.

> BTW, do I have to turn on the '--usercat' option for NIS netgroup migration? The HBAC rules are defined inside hosts/hostgroups, and no NIS groups are involved, right? I maybe completely wrong here.

yes, HBAC rules use hosts/hostgroups and not netgroups. In general
netgroups were added to support application which still needs them or to
make migrations from environments where netgroups were used easier. But
we recommend to use hostgroups with IPA if possible.

HTH

bye,
Sumit