[Freeipa-users] 2.1.3 and 2.2.0: how to do IPA replica promotion?

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue May 22 13:46:07 UTC 2012

David Copperfield wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Any one has successfully do a IPA replica promotion when IPA master(Hub)
> failed, by following the IPA replica document for 2.1.3 and 2.2.0?
>
> I've tried at my side and see that all the steps involved are very
> confusing and may be out-of-dated. my IPA master is installed with
> Dogtag, and all replicas are installed with Dogtag too through '--setup-ca'.
>
> In case of ipamaster is not reachable, how can I promote ipareplica01?
>
> the master.ca.agent.host/port are not setup on either ipareplica01 nor
> ipareplica02 to forward to IPA master at beginning. do that means all
> three IPA servers' Dogtag runs independently?
>
> And what is the value of 'IssuingPointId' in step 3.e and 3.f?
>
> Is that possible for the document
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Identity_Management_Guide/promoting-replica.html#promoting-pki,
> or wiki/email, to give a SOLID use case instead of depicting statement?
> which is ambiguous and not easy to follow.
>

> [root at ipamaster ~]# for i in ipamaster ipareplica0{1,2}; do echo ${i};
> ssh -x ${i} "cat /var/lib/pki-ca/conf/CS.cfg | egrep
> 'ca.certStatusUpdateInterval|ca.listenToCloneModifications|master.ca.agent'";
> done
> ipamaster
> ipareplica01
> ipareplica02
>
> [root at ipamaster ~]# for i in ipamaster ipareplica0{1,2}; do echo ${i};
> ssh -x ${i} "cat /var/lib/pki-ca/conf/CS.cfg | grep ca.crl | grep
> enableCRL"; doneipamaster
> ca.crl.MasterCRL.enableCRLCache=true
> ca.crl.MasterCRL.enableCRLUpdates=true
> ipareplica01
> ca.crl.MasterCRL.enableCRLCache=true
> ca.crl.MasterCRL.enableCRLUpdates=true
> ipareplica02
> ca.crl.MasterCRL.enableCRLCache=true
> ca.crl.MasterCRL.enableCRLUpdates=true
> [root at ipamaster ~]#

I'll see if I can get one of the dogtag guys to take a look at this.

In general, this is not really a big problem. All we are doing here is
deciding which of the CAs will generate the CRL. You want just one
because other operations are happening at the same time, potentially on
other CAs, and if they are all generating a CRL at more or less the same
time then resulting CRLs could be different by a cert or two. For
consistency sake it is better to do this one one machine and publish it.

Other than that there is no "master" promotion required. All of the
servers, particularly those with a CA installed, are equals.

rob