[Freeipa-users] ipa-client-install hangs on ipa-getkeytab - Fixed!!

freeipa at noboost.org freeipa at noboost.org
Wed May 30 04:02:11 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 09:00:43AM +0200, Martin Kosek wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-05-28 at 10:21 +0400, freeipa at noboost.org wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > This one has me stumped!
> > For some reason my Centos 5.8 x64 Linux server hangs during
> > "ipa-client-install"
> >
> > Server:
> > * ipa-admintools-2.1.3-9.el6.x86_64
> > * ipa-client-2.1.3-9.el6.x86_64
> > * ipa-pki-ca-theme-9.0.3-7.el6.noarch
> > * ipa-pki-common-theme-9.0.3-7.el6.noarch
> > * ipa-python-2.1.3-9.el6.x86_64
> > * ipa-server-2.1.3-9.el6.x86_64
> > * ipa-server-selinux-2.1.3-9.el6.x86_64
> >
> > Client:
> > CentOS release 5.8 (Final) (x86_64)
> > * ipa-client-2.1.3-2.el5_8
> > * sssd-client-1.5.1-49.el5_8.1
> >
> > Questions:
> > * Is there a better way to diagnose the ipa-getkeytab command? Perhaps I
> >   can run a native kerberos command?
> > * Any tips welcome, I've tried straces and tcpdump to work this one out,
> >   hmm..
> >

> > Error:
> > "ipa-client-install" runs fine and then hangs (without reason):
> > [below is the chopped version]

> > [libdefaults]
> >   default_realm = EXAMPLE.COM
> >   dns_lookup_realm = true
> >   dns_lookup_kdc = true
> >   rdns = false
> >   ticket_lifetime = 24h
> >   forwardable = yes
> >
> > [realms]
> >   EXAMPLE.COM = {
> >     pkinit_anchors = FILE:/etc/ipa/ca.crt
> >   }
> >
> > [domain_realm]
> >   .example.com = EXAMPLE.COM
> >   example.com = EXAMPLE.COM
> >

> > Password for admin at EXAMPLE.COM:
> > root        : DEBUG    args=kinit admin at EXAMPLE.COM
> > root        : DEBUG    stdout=Password for admin at EXAMPLE.COM:
> >
> > root        : DEBUG    stderr=
> >
> > `ps -ef` on the client side, shows that the install is getting stuck on
> > "ipa-getkeytab" for some reasons.
> >
> > root     15842 15814  0 15:09 pts/1    00:00:00 /usr/bin/python -E
> > /usr/sbin/ipa-client-install -d
> >
> > root     15852 15842  0 15:09 pts/1    00:00:00 /usr/sbin/ipa-join -s
> > ipa-server.example.com -b dc=example,dc=com -d
> >
> > root     15853 15852  0 15:09 pts/1    00:00:00 /usr/sbin/ipa-getkeytab
> > -s ipa-server.example.com -p
> > host/client.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM -k /etc/krb5.keytab
> >

> > cya
> >
> > Craig
> >

> Hello Craig,
>
> I think that in this case, strace may be a good choice to find out where
> it hangs. I assume you already have the IPA server installed and you are
> trying to install IPA client on different machine.
yes that is correct

> If you run ipa-getkeytab with strace separately from ipa-client-install
> you can test where it hangs. You can use any principal existing in IPA
> server, including host/client.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM if the host entry
> exists.
>
> To authenticate with ipa-getkeytab on a machine where ipa-client-isntall
> was unsuccessful you can either manually configure /etc/krb5.conf to use
> IPA server KDC and run kinit or you could use "-D BINDDN -w PASSWORD"
> options to authenticate via LDAP bind.
Heres what I did, I'm not sure which part fixed it. But everything works
fine now!

Steps followed:

1) Found an old policy referring to this client in the kerberos
database, Naturally I deleted this.

2) Fixed up the /etc/krb5.conf on the client & ran the ipa-getkeytab
command (using an existing host principal). To my surprise this worked.

# /usr/sbin/ipa-getkeytab -s sysvm-ipa.example.com -p \
# host/craigpc.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM -k /etc/krb5.keytab
# Keytab successfully retrieved and stored in: /etc/krb5.keytab

3) re-run the ipa-client-install
It worked first time and problem solved.

Any thoughts on the actual issue? could it have been the old policy
entry?

4) local keytab file
The local keytab file looks fine now, I assume that there is an easy way
to delete the craigpc principal entry?

$ sudo klist -k /etc/krb5.keytab
Keytab name: FILE:/etc/krb5.keytab
KVNO Principal
----
   2 host/craigpc.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM
   2 host/craigpc.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM
   2 host/craigpc.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM
   2 host/craigpc.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM
   2 host/craigpc.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM
   1 host/client.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM
   1 host/client.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM
   1 host/client.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM
   1 host/client.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM
   1 host/client.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM

> Martin

cya

Craig