[Freeipa-users] Problem adding DNS Zones

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Fri Nov 16 15:27:54 UTC 2012

Hello,

you didn't specified IPA version, OS version etc., so my reply will be valid
latest IPA master but not necessarily for Your version:

You are trying to use name server from another zone so you have to enter
absolute DNS name.

Value "dns.project.net" is missing the trailing dot, so DNS name was read as
relative. As a result zone origin (i.e. "0.pool.ntp.org") was appended to the
name - and not found in (empty!) zone "0.pool.ntp.org".

You have to specify --ip-address if you want to create a new NS record with
relative name. --ip-address and --name-server combination will create NS+A
record pair.

Petr^2 Spacek

On 11/16/2012 04:11 PM, Bret Wortman wrote:
 > Using FreeIPA on a private network (where it's easier to just alias our own
servers to these names than to edit config file after config file). Any idea
what I'm doing wrong here?

--admin-email=root at project.net
 > ipa: ERROR: Nameserver 'dns.project.net' does not have a corresponding
A/AAAA record