[Freeipa-users] Password requirements too stringent

Tim Hildred thildred at redhat.com
Wed Sep 19 01:43:48 UTC 2012

So, commenting out:
password    requisite     pam_cracklib.so try_first_pass retry=3 type= dcredit=-1 ucredit=-1 ocredit=-1 lcredit=0 minlen=8

Caused users updating their passwords using ssh to get:

[ykatabam at ykatabam ~]$ ssh ykatabam at dns1.ecs-cloud.lab.eng.bne.redhat.com
ykatabam at dns1.ecs-cloud.lab.eng.bne.redhat.com's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
ykatabam at dns1.ecs-cloud.lab.eng.bne.redhat.com's password:
Password expired. Change your password now.
Last login: Fri Sep 14 10:20:49 2012 from vpn1-48-53.bne.redhat.com
WARNING: Your password has expired.
You must change your password now and login again!
Changing password for user ykatabam.
Current Password:
Password change failed. Server message: Password change failed
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
Connection to dns1.ecs-cloud.lab.eng.bne.redhat.com closed.

Is that to say that you need at least 1 password requisite? That instead of commenting out the password requisite pam_cracklib.so, I should have replaced it with something?

Tim Hildred, RHCE
Content Author II - Engineering Content Services, Red Hat, Inc.
Brisbane, Australia
Email: thildred at redhat.com
Internal: 8588287
Mobile: +61 4 666 25242