[Freeipa-users] LDAP authentication for 3rd party

Peter Brown rendhalver at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 22:32:43 UTC 2013

On 12 April 2013 05:04, John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/11/2013 02:47 PM, Bartek Moczulski wrote:
>
>> hi,
>> I've got a problem with using IPA as authentication source over LDAP.
>> Generally there are two approaches to LDAP authentication:
>> 1. bind using admin account and read passwords from user objects (but in
>> ipa you cannot read passwords through ldap, right?)
>> 2. "bind to authenticate" - service tries to log in to ldap with user's
>> credentials. If login is successful authentication is also succesful -
>> this approach does not work because you cannot login to IPA ldap using
>> bare username, you need a full LDAP DN.
>>

> Most applications I know of that do "bind as user" to authenticate also
> permit you to specify a format string into which the user name is inserted
> (i.e. the format string is the dn, e.g. "uid=%u,cn=users,cn=accounts,**dc=example,dc=com")
> -or- they do a search to discover the dn. If you application does not
> support either approach it's broken IMHO.

I have used this method for Confluence, Jira, Stash, Icinga and Foreman.
I will be adding more applications in the future as well.
If the application doesn't support Kerberos it's the next best thing in my
opinion.
I have also use it to get email lists into dovecot and postfix.

One caveat I found is you need to tell Atlassian applications that FreeIPA
is a plain OpenLDAP server to get it to work.
Apart from that it works "out of the box" as they say.