[Freeipa-users] User Roles and access in GUI

Chandan Kumar chandank.kumar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 23:42:11 UTC 2013

I agree it won't be a security feature nor you are doing wrong by not
adding it. However, it might come as nice to have feature. Let me explain
you my condition.

We host web application where lot of DNS entries (Public and Internal) are
created for different kind of requests and features. Now we already have a
separate DNS server, Separate Manual Linux User/Access Control management
by puppet. Linux users   ACL have no relationship with the web application
user (which is internal to the web app).

So FreeIPA can help me to centralize the Linux user-management as well as
(Public and Internal) DNS. However, the problem is : traditionally the
access levels were different for DNS users (support guys) and user
management (sysadmins). Now bring both system together even the Host based
access control, sudoers rule everything becomes visible to non-sysadmin
group.

You are right that every user could query all entries from command line and
hence it won't help  to secure the system, but not having it on GUI may
help to avoid "obvious" visibility of the whole directory.

I believe similar GUI "views" could be applied for discussion

http://osdir.com/ml/freeipa-users/2013-03/msg00218.html

where geographically separate Organization units may share the same
directory with limited visibility on other branches.

Having said that, I am not sure how feasible/logical my view is owing to my
limited knowledge in 389 directory server and IPA.

Thanks
Chandan

http://about.me/chandank