[Freeipa-users] User Roles and access in GUI

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Tue Apr 16 15:16:27 UTC 2013

On 04/16/2013 04:25 PM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 04/16/2013 03:38 AM, Martin Kosek wrote:

>>> I think you are talking about this: https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/217
>>> and somewhat about this https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/1313
>>>
>>> Would you mind adding the details of your use case to one of those two tickets?
>>>
>>> Alternatively we can start another ticket.
>>> However I think we should have some kind of a complete solution that covers
>>> LDAP, UI and CLI consistently.
>>> Doing it right would be a huge task IMO.
>>> For LDAP we would probably have to implement some kind of "smart" proxy that
>>> would reply only to the requests that user are entitled to. Same with CLI and
>>> UI. But the point is that one configuration should be respected by all three at
>>> the same time. For example if you are not allowed to manage sudo the sudo
>>> commands should not return any data as well as LDAP searches and there should
>>> be no panel in the UI.
>>>
>>> I am really reluctant to fix just UI because we would end up different
>>> components of the system behaving differently and it would be hard to evolve
>>> them and maintain.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Dmitri
>>>
>> I think there were some related discussions about this. I agree that this a
>> bigger effort, but I do think that a proxy is needed. We should be able to
>> achieve that goal by being able to disable global ACI allowing read access to
>> all entries and attributes unless those explicitly blacklisted.
>>
>> I think we are talking about this ticket:
>> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/2786
>

> Actually no. I see it on a much broader scale than in this ticket.
> I am thinking about blacklisting components like: sudo, hbac, selinux,
> DNS, hosts, users, services etc.
> Have a way to completely hide those areas from the user.
> It would get pretty complex right away as the dependencies are hierarchical.

This is what I meant. We could offer disabling the global ACI granting read
access to everyone and let admins assign read privileges only to functions
(HBAC, SUDO, SELinux, ...) they want. I tried to sum all these thoughts to this
upstream ticket:

Comments and suggestions from FreeIPA users welcome!

Thanks,
Martin