[Freeipa-users] Postponing IPA 3 upgrade

Erinn Looney-Triggs erinn.looneytriggs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 18:11:47 UTC 2013

On 02/11/2013 10:00 AM, Rashard.Kelly at SITA.aero wrote:
> I was wondering if I need to be concerned about IPA 2 being updated
> automatically to IPA 3? We have a working IPA 2 environment in place now
> and wanted to know if IPA needed to be added to an exclude list. We are
> afraid of breaking our current setup. When IPA 3 is released will yum
> automatically upgrade it to 3 or will that be something that we have to
> manually issue?
>

> Thanks,
> Rashard
>

> This document is strictly confidential and intended only for use by the
> addressee unless otherwise stated. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your
> system.

That is going to depend a lot on how you manage your environment. If you
are set up to simply download and install any updates then yes you
should give it some thought.

If you are set up with a management entitlement through RHN, you can
choose when to deploy an update. Or if you are simply running yum update
by hand then it is not just going to happen.

It is possible to do excludes in yum, just search for yum excludes.
That might give you all the 6.4 updates minus the IPA updates. However,
I would be wary of this as that may cause some issues as well.

It is also possible to just stay with 6.3, I don't know much about how
this works, but I do know that for some point releases Red Hat continues
to offer support in the form of patches and updates after the next point
release is put out.

-Erinn