[Freeipa-users] Non-human users

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Fri Feb 15 17:32:24 UTC 2013

On 02/15/2013 09:45 AM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
> On 02/15/2013 05:36 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> Is there a recommended way to distinguish between "real" human user
>> accounts in IPA and non-human "system" accounts in IPA?
>>

> What kind of system accounts do you have in IPA? Consider not storing them in
> IPA at all.

Yeah, that seems like the better idea, but:

I think the main issue we've run into is needing the apache user to be a
member of groups in ldap, and that not working unless the apache user was in
ldap as well.

Another example is a backup user account that backup software logs in as.

Also some accounts that own files and some services run as that are needed on
multiple machines.  I suppose we could use puppet to manage those, but ldap
seems more convenient.

--
Orion Poplawski
NWRA, Boulder Office                  FAX: 303-415-9702
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com