[Freeipa-users] Cannot obtain CA Certificate

John Moyer john.moyer at digitalreasoning.com
Mon Feb 18 14:58:12 UTC 2013

Hello all,

	I am having an issue using IPA 2.2.0.   I am trying to put together a proof of concept set of systems.  I've stood up 2 servers on AWS.   One is the server one is the client.   I am using CentOS 6 to do all this testing on, with the default IPA packages provided from CentOS.   I had a fully operational proof of concept finished fully scripted to be built without issues.   I shutdown and started these as needed to show to people to get approval for the project.   The other day the client stopped enrolling to the IPA server, I have no idea why I assume a patch pushed out broke something since it is a fully scripted install. It does get the most recent patches each time I stand it up so it definitely would pull any new patches that came out.

	After investigating I am getting this error when I try to manually enroll the client.  I haven't been able to find any reference to this error anywhere on the net.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Let me know if any additional details are needed.

PLEASE NOTE:  Everything below has been sanitized

[root at client ~]# ipa-client-install --domain=example.com --server=ipa1.example.com --realm=EXAMPLE.COM --configure-ssh --configure-sshd -p ipa-bind -w "blah" -U
DNS domain 'example.com' is not configured for automatic KDC address lookup.
KDC address will be set to fixed value.

Discovery was successful!
Hostname: client.ec2.internal
Realm: EXAMPLE.COM
DNS Domain: digitalreasoning.com
IPA Server: ipa1.example.com
BaseDN: dc=example,dc=com

Synchronizing time with KDC...

ipa         : ERROR    Cannot obtain CA certificate
'ldap://ipa1.example.com' doesn't have a certificate.
Installation failed. Rolling back changes.
IPA client is not configured on this system.

Thanks,
John Moyer