[Freeipa-users] New User - Possible to point authentication to external KDC

Trey Dockendorf treydock at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 06:31:10 UTC 2013

On Feb 25, 2013 1:23 AM, "Dmitri Pal" <dpal at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 02/23/2013 10:33 PM, Trey Dockendorf wrote:
> > I just begun evaluating FreeIPA, after having successfully used 389ds
> > for a few months.  The move from 389 ds to FreeIPA is to leverage the
> > authorization for host logins and also for simpler management.  The
> > University I am deploying at has a campus wide KDC and for security
> > and audit reasons I prefer to point my authentication services at that
> > Kerberos realm rather than storing passwords.  I have successfully
> > implemented this using the 389 ds pam pass through authentication
> > plug-in , but have not found any documentation on how to do this same
> > thing with FreeIPA.
> >
> > The complication with doing this is I do not have even a 1 way trust
> > with the KDC.  Getting a trust (even 1-way) is very difficult if not
> > impossible, but so far I've been able to make PAM work with that
> > situation both using local authentication and now 389 ds, both through
> > PAM.  Is it possible to have FreeIPA query a remote KDC while still
> > being able to fallback to the local password store (ie external users
> > not in campus domain).
>
> IPA uses the 389 DS so it might be possible to configure PAM pass
> through but there might be implications because if users are not in IPA
> you would not get a ticket and since you cant get a ticket you can't use
> UI and CLI. You can still bind using LDAP though as you do with the 389.
> So to manage IPA you would still have to have a user in IPA. However you
> will have two KDCs and I do not know what implications there would be
> for the clients, they might be confused.
> Frankly you are better off with 389 now untill we make setting up trusts
> with other IPAs or MIT KDCs simple. We did that for AD but it requires a
> clean DNS setup. I suspect DNS setup will be an issue in any case.
>

> > Thanks
> > - Trey

> --
> Thank you,
> Dmitri Pal
>
> Sr. Engineering Manager for IdM portfolio
> Red Hat Inc.

Thanks for the response!  I do plan to have all my users in freeIPA.  My
goal is to have my freeIPA install just attempt a password authentication
against external KDC via pam on the IPA server before trying the local
password store.  With my current 389 setup, clients are unaware of our
campus KDC, the authentication is handled my 389 server and currently users
in my LDAP who have campus accounts get their password verified via PAM and
others in my LDAP use the local password stored in 389.

The aspects of IPA aside from 389 are where my uncertainty lies.  For
example, if I have LDAP authenticate against an external KDC via PAM, can
the user still get a ticket from my IPA?

Also getting a trust may not be possible even if freeipa makes the process
easier.  This is a politics issue with our campus' main IT group and
something I've worked around thus far.

Is there anything in changes of the stock 389 that would prevent this from
working in IPA?  Also is there a preferred method for enabling plugins in
IPA?  Also how could I test this?  Would a client machine joined to my IPA
install be the best method?

Thanks
- Trey