[Freeipa-users] ipa admin tool error "ipa: ERROR: Client is not configured. Run ipa-client-install."

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 10:00:20 UTC 2013

hi,

on a workstation *not* joined to the IPA domain but with the the ipa
admin tools installed I get this error when trying to modify dns
settings and I have a kerberos ticket of an admin user:

$ kinit user.admin at UNIX.DOMAIN.TLD
Password for user.admin at UNIX.DOMAIN.TLD
$ klist
Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_500
Default principal: user.admin at UNIX.DOMAIN.TLD

01/07/13 10:47:09  01/08/13 10:47:06  krbtgt/UNIX.DOMAIN.TLD at UNIX.DOMAIN.TLD
	renew until 01/14/13 10:47:06

$ ipa dnsrecord-mod unix.domain.tld ipaclient01 --ttl=300
ipa: ERROR: Client is not configured. Run ipa-client-install.

Is this 'by design'? This limitation on the cli tool does not apply to
the web interface, by the way, that is, I can login the web interface
without being joined to the domain and modify all kind of stuff there
;-).

To be more specific: this is not a problem, I can run this command on
a joined host, but I was just curious.

TIA.
--
Groeten,