[Freeipa-users] Replicate on Servers with diffrent Version (Minor)

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon Jul 8 14:05:50 UTC 2013

Stephen Ingram wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Schmitt, Christian
> <c.schmitt at briefdomain.de <mailto:c.schmitt at briefdomain.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hello is it possible to replicate FreeIPA Server with diffrent Minor
>     versions?
>     Currently we are running a FreeIPA Server on Fedora 19 since
>     CentOS/RHEL only has a FreeIPA 2.X Server and we wanted the features
>     of FreeIPA 3.X.
>     Would it be possible to replicate that Server to a Red Hat
>     Enterprise Linux 7 FreeIPA Server when it's arrive, when the minor
>     version is diffrent and it is a 3.X Server? or does the Major, Minor
>     needs to be completly the same?
>

> Actually RHEL 6.4 has version 3.0.x of IPA. I was told that after the
> release of RHEL 7, there will be a RHEL 6.x version of IPA (3.0.?) that
> will support replication up to RHEL 7 (most likely version 3.2.x, 3.3.x
> or wherever they get to before RHEL 7 release). I'm not sure about
> replication from a Fedora IPA release to a RHEL release.

That is correct. Replication between versions is a way to bridge from
one release to another. One can create an agreement from a lower to a
higher version, but not the other way around.

It is expected that users will quickly migrate all masters from the old
version to the new one (days or weeks, not months).

rob