[Freeipa-users] [RFC] Feature idea - ENV vars/profile scripts in directory

Alan Evans alanwevans at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 21:53:20 UTC 2013

Man I just can't seem to reply to this list correctly.  I hope the other
two didn't actually go anywhere.

Dimitri,

I do not mean to store system environment variables but MY environment
variables.

dn: uid=alan,dc=example,dc=com
objectclass: top
objectclass: posixAccount
objectclass: inetOrgPerson
objectclass: posixAccountEnv
uid: alan
cn: Alan Evans
posixEnv: EDITOR=vim
# or
posixEnv;EDITOR: vim

In my opinion while these do not necessarily meet the definition you just
described they are distinctly MY preferences and I would argue they belong
with my object in LDAP.  Storing some environment variables isn't that
different from storing my preferred shell, or my preferred contact
information and so on.

As for implementing it could be all done in pam_ldap which would be pretty
easily portable.

HTH,
-Alan